I love the LTUX leadership events. They are so inspiring and motivational and I have been to all of them so far so I could not miss this one titled 'Leadership: Advice to Your Younger Self'.
It is hard to give you a blow by blow account of what was discussed, especially the personal stories that were shared, but I can pull out my favourite take aways.
- These include, making the most of opportunities as they crop up and making sure you take people along on your thought journey.
- The fact that not everyone will love you, but if they did you are probably not doing your job right.
- You should lead by example, you cannot force people to change; in fact you cannot change a personality but you can request someone change their behaviour.
- Do not worry about mistakes, but learn from them, after all in most of our jobs no one will die from our mistakes.
- Learn to say no, remember to take breaks and be kind to yourself.
- Leadership is not a solo thing, but works with a team to support you.
- And most importantly, if a job is making you ill, it does not matter how 'amazing' that job is or how 'brilliant' the money is etc, leave.
I am not sure if these ladies realise quite how inspiring they are to people like me, but I really appreciate them taking the time to come and speak at events like this.
I am already looking forward to the next one.
Sadly with Christmas in the way I do not think I will be back with LTUX until Feb 2018 now.